Learning Thai

Happy New Year! Today's post is about my reasons for learning Thai but first a little background. 

I am bilingual and I consider myself to be conversational in Thai because of my early upbringing in Thailand. However, I am kind of ashamed to admit this but I did not know how to read Thai until last month even though my parents are both Thai and I was born in Thailand. I am a red blooded Thai American and I think part of understanding who you are is understanding where you came from. 

For the past few weeks I've been learning how to read Thai. At first, I learned the Thai alphabet (well, actually Thai letters since there are no ABCs in Thai) and had fun memorizing the letters. I'm at a point now where I can recognize all the letters in the Thai "alphabet" and read basic sentences. I'm loving the progress I've made and look forward to being able to read Thai novels later on this year. It's going to take hours upon hours of endless study but I believe it's going to all be worth it.

I have a Thai/English translation website, www.thaitranslation.net, that honestly has not made a sale yet. I started the site with the intention of getting it off the ground at first. It's still up because I know very smart bilingual people who can translate from Thai to English and English to Thai. Learning how to read Thai is important to me because in the near future, I hope to take over as one of the translators. For now I'm just the salesman and middleman that facilitates those transactions. So if you're reading this and you're in need of a quality, inexpensive translation please contact me. 

Another reason I am learning Thai is the fact that I want to be involved with the Thai financial markets. It's been a dream of mine spanning several years now. I started a blog back in 2008 called 'Thai Stock Investor', thaistocks.wordpress.com,  and it's still active, though it hasn't been updated in forever. The goal of that blog is to show to potential companies, clients, and employers that I have an keen awareness and strong interest in the Thai stock market. 

So as you can see I have strong motives to learn how to read Thai. I like Thai. It's a beautiful, tonal language despite my other reasons to learn it. I should've learned it a long, long time ago. I'm glad I started learning Thai again. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

University of Cincinnati Master of Science Degree Diploma

Holiday Tradition