80-20 Rule

I am a big believer in the Pareto principle which states that 80 percent of effects come from 20 percent of causes. One area of my life that I've applied this principle is work. Whenever I feel bored or when I don't want to do a particular chore I've learn to apply this principle to eliminate procrastination as much as possible.

I think that it takes 80% of my energy to do the first simple task of a chore. I then use my 20% remaining energy to complete the rest of the chore. If this sounds like counter productive thinking and it sounds weird to you then you got to trust me on this one. For those of you who procrastinate too often try doing the first step of a chore no matter how small. You'll be surprise that you have the momentum to go on and finish the chore or project with relative ease.

I realize how inaction and self doubt are my worst enemies of productivity. To avoid that I apply the 80-20 rule to every work related task that I do.

Comments

AJ Raza said…
nice one
i also like this approach
Marc said…
I am starting to apply this to other areas of my life that I need improvement on like working out. That's why I think push ups are so awesome. It can be done anywhere without and it doesn't take much time. I find that once I've done my push ups I end up doing bicep curls and sit ups as well. So it's definite a good start. It's doesn't matter how you start as long as you start!

Popular posts from this blog

University of Cincinnati Master of Science Degree Diploma

Holiday Tradition