Skip to main content

Work

As useless as my Political Science degree is, and I know I sound bitter, it has been a blessing in disguise because it has forced me to work harder to achieve not only what's possible but what in my mind thought was improbable. Had I not struggled in my career early on, I would not have pushed myself to become the person that I am today.

My first full time job was in a call center and 7+ years later I still work at a call center. It's not the easiest job in the world especially when one has to deal with difficult customers and a demanding boss. My position offers decent pay and benefits (hey who doesn't like free cable!) but it's not something I see myself doing 3 to 5 years from now. I realize this at the wise old age of 31. I have to reach for something greater.

There are three things I am focusing on daily in terms of my job.

First, is add value to the customer and company. Adding value is something I've picked up from being around friends who are successful. Their advice is simple and fairly easy to follow considering I spend 40 hours a week at my job.

Second, is view my job as a paid internship. I got this from reading about billionaire entrepreneur Mark Cuban. The idea is to go to work and learn something each day as you earn a paycheck. A full-time entry level job doesn't sound so bad once you look at it from that perspective.

Third is to read up on my field. The credit here has to be given to Stephen Covey, author of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. He basically says to 'sharpen the saw' which from my understanding means to never stop learning and more specifically to be on top of your respective field. One of my mentors, a self help expert from another area of my life that I am working on, basically says that books are one of the most undervalued forms of knowledge that's available considering that the author has taken their life's work and provided it to you for a couple of dollars.

As a result, I've been extremely motivated at work because I want to succeed at my job as well as learn as much as I can because it'll turn me into a more productive and happier person. And then when I come home from work I read voraciously, especially sales/self development books because I know it will help me that much better the next day at my job even if its .001% better.

Recently, I traded in a round trip ticket to what is my favorite party destination in the world, Las Vegas, and used up my all my airline miles to subscribe to a year's worth of the Wall Street Journal, Economist, Barron's, Variety and other business/industry related  publications because I know it'll help me stay on top of developments in my field so that I can further my career goals. As you can tell, I am committed to working hard and staying motivated. I think it would be great to make and have a lot of money, though on the other hand I realize that you have to have fun too, which is why my time is valuable. Anyone who wastes my time doesn't deserve it.

I have tremendous respect for people in business who do things the right way and I've always fond of starting a business with that principle. That's how business should be done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

University of Cincinnati Master of Science Degree Diploma

It's official! Today, I received my diploma from the University of Cincinnati. I can't express how happy and proud I am of my Master of Science degree. I told my mom, my aunt, my dad and basically everyone on my social media. I even tweeted my diploma photo to Santa Ono, the President of the University of Cincinnati, and even got a congratulatory reply from him and the official UC Twitter account. So it's been an awesome Saturday.

Here is a pic of my University of Cincinnati diploma.



Holiday Tradition

The holidays are just around the corner. It's the best time of the year for sure. But the holidays can go by really quickly. I mean, it's going to be Halloween on Monday already! Pretty soon Thanksgiving will be here and we'll all be eating Turkey with our families. Then just like that we'll be opening up presents on Christmas and ringing in 2017 on New Year's.

Some families have holiday traditions. I want to start a holiday tradition where we help out the less fortunate. Everyday is a struggle for each one of us but at least we have food on our tables and a roof over our heads. There are just way too many people on the streets hungry and freezing. We shouldn't let this go on. Not on our watch.

With the power of the internet we can achieve so much in so little time. We can use this power to help others. We don't even have to spend our own money. Did you know that there are free donation sites out there right now that you can visit everyday and donate for fr…

Pay it Forward With a Click of a Button